Re: Alternative to Front Page?

Subject: Re: Alternative to Front Page?
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 19:25:04 -0600

In our previous episode, Linda Sherman said:
> Barry Campbell wrote:
> >
> > On Windows, the best-of-breed code-based editor is Allaire HomeSite
>
> Without wishing to get into the discussion of which code editor it best,
> I have to disagree with your recommendation of HomeSite.
>
> I don't want to tie up this list with a lengthy review. The main
> problem: it's slooooow.

After all the recommendations, I downloaded an eval copy today. I'm
using a 486/50, so I expected it to be slow. What I didn't expect was
that at the end of the install process I would get an error message
saying that some DLL was missing, and I could find it at a Microsoft
site.

I also didn't expect that the browser (the WYSIWYG portion of
HomeSite) wouldn't work unless I had Internet Explorer 4.01 or later
installed. I got that message, and a couple of error messages, and
gave up and uninstalled it.

I'll try it again when I get my new Pentium II 450 next month, but in
the meantime, it looks as if HomeSite is for high-end systems only. I
would have been nice to have some warning about that.

By the way, how much does it cost? The site buries that information
fairly far down, and I never got there.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"If you can forgive your parents and forgive the Cubs, you can save
about $25,000 in therapy."
-- Steve Goodman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=