Re: why I want to Tech Write

Subject: Re: why I want to Tech Write
From: Linnea Dodson <tscribe -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 05:08:43 PST

>On the question of why we do this, a lot of the replies seem to be
>that people kind of wander into this field.

I tripped into it! :> Much like Anon, who wants to do something
different and doesn't quite know what, I had gone back to school to
reinvent myself as a Web Designer/Multimedia Programmer because it
sounded more interesting than desktop publishing.

While there, I picked up some sub-contracting work for one of my
professors. He'd been hired to design a CBT. Problem: he's a great
programmer, but doesn't like to write at all. Solution: a student who
loved to write and was rapidly discovering that she was not cut out to
be a programmer.

So he subcontracted me to do the actual design and storyboards of the
CBT and I loved it. A different temp job's employers found out I liked
to write and asked me to do a web site they were considering. From
there, I've never looked back. It's somewhat ironic that I spent a
great deal of effort on programming classes I may never use, while I
audited all the writing courses as "not work related," but every little
bit of experience helps.

Speaking of little bits of experience, I've been following the "how long
do you need to stay in a job" thread with some anxiousness. While I was
in school I picked up any job that might give me experience, but it was
all freelance, temp, and contract work. So my resume shows several
years of steady employment, then a sudden patchwork of short-duration
jobs, several of which overlap timewise. This has already caused
negative comments from one prospective employer, but what can I do?
Better to take the short jobs and get the experience than hold out and
hope longer-term employment could have given me the same chances to
learn.

Nea

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=