Re: the technical name for the #?

Subject: Re: the technical name for the #?
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- GJCTECH -dot- FORCE9 -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:35:37 -0000

I just had a moment of inspiration and ask if one is writing procedures that
include the use of the subject symbol, why even bother to give it a name?
Why not use something like the following.

When finished, press the # key.

Why should the statement be written as,

When finished, press the pound (#) key.

Of course, this method works for only written communication. Verbal
communication is another issue.
<<

Andy Cheyne wrote:

Well, I think you've answered your own question in that last
paragraph, Don. In my experience, you can seldom consider product
manuals in isolation. Just imagine a user, who has learnt all about
the product from the manual, having to make a call to technical
support:

"Hello, I've a problem. My system hangs when I press the... er... what
d'you call it?...you know... that key with the funny symbol..."
[rest snipped]<<