Re: FW: Front Page

Subject: Re: FW: Front Page
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:59:07 -0500

> From: Steven J. Owens [mailto:puff -at- NETCOM -dot- COM]
> Seriously, the big thing that 90% of the hardcore web crowd have
> against WYSIWYG web editors is that a) by definition of what the web
> is, they can't work ...

What Steve is implying here should be stated explicitly: HTML is not glass
paper.
What You See ain't What You Get because What You Get ain't what Fred over
there Gets! Without even getting into handicap accessibility issues and
people with odd taste in browsers and configurations, you simply have no
idea how large the user has the browser window sized. Some people use the
whole screen, others use just a little window. Some people have 21 inch
monitors with insanely high resolution, and some people use laptops with
little screens that have big fat pixels and poor color saturation.

When you design a web site, you are designing an information structure, NOT
a screen.

If you want exact layout, use PDF or MacroMedia or something.

That being said, I'll admit to using FrontPage for first drafts of pages.
And I am (on another window) dumping Word docs to HTML right now. Yes, the
results will be ugly. But I'm not designing a site or a page, I'm making
existing documents available for online use, and I have a lot of them to do
in almost no time.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=