FW: Front Page

Subject: FW: Front Page
From: Tracey Moore <traceym -at- APPLIEDMAPPING -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:28:05 -0500

I use FrontPage for my web sites, and I can attest to the fact that FrontPage does indeed add certain HTML tags that are a nuisance. I don't know if you can edit FrontPage HTML pages in other authoring programs, but I have had to remove certain HTML tags created by FrontPage using NotePad. This worked fine.

This does require knowledge of HTML. My specific advice, do not use the FrontPage <style> tag. This is created anytime you use the style feature, which appears as a STYLE button. Don't press the button, don't use it. Refer to your good ole HTML book for font, size, etc., tags instead.

The writer said that FrontPage webs only work on MS servers. This is not true: they work on UNIX as well. As for MacIntosh, I don't know. Then again, I know of no commercial servers on MacIntosh (not to say that I know everything, I certainly don't!).

Also, you do not have to use the FrontPage Server Extensions. My sites do not. You do have to use the extensions if you want to use any of FrontPage's automated functions such as their hit counter and search engine on your site (and webbot components). I don't use these; instead I got mine for free off the web (check out www.linkexchange.com), and they work great.

My second word of advice: know your HTML. Look for <style> and <webbot> tags. FrontPage is sneaky.

I agree that Microsoft is doing its best to dominate. But Netscape still rules the browser market (YEAH!), and many Netscape users are Microsoft users. Microsoft has to keep its clients happy (of which they're doing a poor job lately). . .eventually they'll succumb.

My third word of advice: complain! complain! complain! (to Microsoft I mean).

Thanks to Arlen for directing us to that web page. I mostly agree with everything the guy says.

My final word of advice (I promise this is it!) Go with another web authoring program (I hear Page Mill and Hot Dog are nice). Microsoft will definitely change its tune if no one buys FrontPage anymore.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000