Re: Technical name for the #?

Subject: Re: Technical name for the #?
From: Michelle Vina-Baltsas <Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- US -dot- CRAWCO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 13:09:03 -0500

I agree with Doug. Even if "octothorpe" is the official or technical term
to what most people refer to as "the pound sign" or "the number sign" what
is the point if of using the "official" term if most of your audience
doesn't know what an octothorpe is? I I would venture to say that that
most people, in the US anyway, don't refer to this symbol as the
octothorpe. As many others have already said, which term you decide to use
is probably going to be dependent on which country most of your readers are

michelle_vina-baltsas -at- us -dot- crawco -dot- com

Doug Nickerson <Doug_Nickerson -at- ONSETCOMP -dot- COM> on 11/23/98 12:24:46 PM

Please respond to Doug Nickerson <Doug_Nickerson -at- ONSETCOMP -dot- COM>

cc: (bcc: Michelle Vina-Baltsas/CRAWFORDCO/US)
Subject: Re: Technical name for the #?

I've heard that the
is the real name for the pound/number sign. If you
have a 'real' name that no one has even heard of, how useful is it for
anything but trivial pursuit (I *have* heard this posed as a trivia

Sort of an interesting issue for technical communicators. If your audience
doesn't understand what you're talking about, are you communicating?

Doug Nickerson
Bourne, MA.
doug_nickerson -at- onsetcomp -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: Re: Framemaker vs. Pagemaker - gossip
Next by Author: Trademarks as Nouns
Previous by Thread: Re: Technical name for the #?
Next by Thread: Re: Technical name for the #?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads