Re: Technical name for the #?

Subject: Re: Technical name for the #?
From: Michelle Vina-Baltsas <Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- US -dot- CRAWCO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 13:09:03 -0500

I agree with Doug. Even if "octothorpe" is the official or technical term
to what most people refer to as "the pound sign" or "the number sign" what
is the point if of using the "official" term if most of your audience
doesn't know what an octothorpe is? I I would venture to say that that
most people, in the US anyway, don't refer to this symbol as the
octothorpe. As many others have already said, which term you decide to use
is probably going to be dependent on which country most of your readers are
from.

Michelle
michelle_vina-baltsas -at- us -dot- crawco -dot- com

Doug Nickerson <Doug_Nickerson -at- ONSETCOMP -dot- COM> on 11/23/98 12:24:46 PM

Please respond to Doug Nickerson <Doug_Nickerson -at- ONSETCOMP -dot- COM>

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc: (bcc: Michelle Vina-Baltsas/CRAWFORDCO/US)

I've heard that the
>octothorpe
is the real name for the pound/number sign. If you
have a 'real' name that no one has even heard of, how useful is it for
anything but trivial pursuit (I *have* heard this posed as a trivia
question)?

Sort of an interesting issue for technical communicators. If your audience
doesn't understand what you're talking about, are you communicating?

Doug Nickerson
Bourne, MA.
Programmer/author/person
doug_nickerson -at- onsetcomp -dot- com