Re: Kill the Certification Thread

Subject: Re: Kill the Certification Thread
From: rlprice <rlprice -at- NETCOM -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:56:35 -0800

>The days of no education and working your way up from floor sweeper to VP
only
>existed post war.(W.W.II)

>Two things - education is not just degree programs and working your way
still
>goes in smaller companies.
>Actually all of this degree stuff is more a function of company and size in
my
>humble opinion. Most of the new startups related to the internet don't
expect
>degrees. Portfolio and a successful trial at actually doing something is
more
>important than anything else.

>Just some thoughts from the rim...

I agree that degree and/or certification will never totally supplant those
unique individuals who will always forge ahead from floor sweeper to VP. My
response about the post war period referred to opportunity on a large scale
and is not meant to be restrictive.

Mostly I was responding to the comments that the thread should be killed
because it has been discussed before. "Search the Archives" seems to be an
easy way of cutting a discussion off and of avoiding what one does not want
to discuss.(if the issue is past tense I can avoid it).
This is an issue of the present and near future and is not going to Go to
the Archives". The issue of certification, being certified, degrees,
education, experience and portfolio are rapidly becoming one issue not items
that are mutually exclusive of each other.
In no field that I know of does a certification or degree replace an
interview, a portfolio, and demonstrated experience. It has been implied on
the list that somehow these are separate rather than complimentary.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=