Re: Engineering approach to certification

Subject: Re: Engineering approach to certification
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 10:23:59 +0000

You never simply get engineers. Someone may say they are an engineer but
in reality they will be an electronics/electrical/whatever engineer. The
"general" engineer title is to give people a ballpark idea of what they do
- no doubt we all have an idea of what an engineer is (probably based on
those we've known). I feel that it is the same with Tech Writers - the
term provided a general handle on what we do. In the UK (at least with
agencies) this was broadly split into hardware/software. We all have the
basic writing/communication skills and this is what we should be promoting
re certification. From there we can move up in levels if required (as many
as deemed necessary). I have the basic skills + degree in
electronics/programming/ x years experience documenting y and so on.

Even if we have a basic certificate it won't guarantee work. If I'm up for
a job documenting financial software and someone else applying has a
background doing that then I would expect them to be in with a better
chance than me. We all, I would hope, have the same BASIC skills but
beyond that ....

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International