Re: How times have changed?

Subject: Re: How times have changed?
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:55:09 +0000

I have just read Michael Wing's reply and feel that the views stated are at
opposing ends of the certification spectrum. Professional bodies have a
wide variety of entrance requirements from degree+experience++++ right down
to give us the membership fee and you're in!

Like Tim Alton I feel that some form of "professional recognition" would
benefit the profession but, don't feel that it should be so constrictive
that it:

puts people off joining

prevents legitimate TWers from joining.

In the UK the professional body is the ISTC and it has several different
levels of membership (same with STC I would think). Membership grades are,
more or less, split on skills/experience and are as follows:

Student Members

Enrolled in further education that will enable them to undertake duties in
field of scientific and technical communication

Associate Member

Are at least 22 years old, possess acceptable qualification/equivalent
experience in branch of science in which they are TW, passed exam(s) in
subject relevant to TW and at least 1 years experience as a TW

OR

Are at least 24 years old and a mimimum of 4 years experience, at least 2
of which has been spent as a TW

Members

Are at least 26 years old, possess acceptable qualification/equivalent
experience in branch of science in which they are TW, passed exam(s) in
subject relevant to TW and at least 5 years experience, at least 2 as a TW
in a responsible position

OR

Are at least 30 years old, 5 years experience as TW with at least 3 in a
responsible position and have a comprehensive knowledge of techniques for
TW

Fellows

Been a member for at least 2 years, passed exam(s) at advanced level in
subject(s) relevant to TW and have exercised supervisory responsibility in
TW for at least 2 years

OR

Reached age of at least 35, at least 3 year TW supervisory experience,
comprehensive knowledge of techniques for TW

OR

Reached age of 30, posess such standards of professional education as
deemed acceptable and submitted a thesis to council

As with every institute there are other grades (honourary etc) but these
are the main ones. Not too restrictive I feel but it does provide some
(some say basic!) benchmark. Employers know that members have been deemed
"professional" by their peers. They also have the benefit of knowing that
members adhere (well should!) to a specific code of conduct and
professional practice in their work.

Perhaps, apart from raising profile of the profession, it's a way of
protecting our reputation as an industry (or trying to) from the "cowboys"
.

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International