Re: Numbered list misbehaviour in Word97...

Subject: Re: Numbered list misbehaviour in Word97...
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 10:01:36 -0500

Greetings Dan!

> Why is it that, when attempting to restart the numbering in
> numbered lists,
> Word97 also changes some of the formatting?

<rant>
I feel your pain, really I do. I used to swear by Word 7, but Word 97 causes
me to swear at it, occasionally smack the monitor, smack my head, and
threaten it with magnets. I'm severely tempted to drop the whole thing into
a deep pit and start learning Framemaker. YOU HEAR THAT BILL? YOU FIXED
SOMETHNG THAT WASN'T BROKEN, YOU GLASSY-EYED TWIT!
</rant>

<deep sigh>

On to your answer. You see, it's isn't enough to make a style that numbers
paragraphs. You also have to make sure that the Numbering option matches
your style specifications.

When you make your style for numbering, make sure that the Automatic Update
checkbox is not selected. When you need to create a new list and restart the
first list item, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the first item in your new list
2. Select Bullets and Numbering.
3. You'll see a bunch of examples of numbering styles. Pick one that has
your
Style name on it and click Customize.
4. Make sure the the bullet size, indent space, and hanging indent
measurements match what you selected for your style. Click OK.
5. Select Restart Numbering and click OK.

From now on, whenever you need to restart your numbered list, select the
numbering example you just customized.

<rant>Adobe... Warm my seat. </rant>

--
Be seeing you,

Dave
---
John David Hickey (jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

Lone Writer at Farabi Technology Corp. (Montreal, Quebec)

They say the pen is mighter than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
--
Do not confuse my opinons with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=