ADMIN: Disagreeing on what's topical/accessing free email

Subject: ADMIN: Disagreeing on what's topical/accessing free email
From: TECHWR-L Administrator <admin -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 08:28:29 -0700

Gang,
I've been petitioned by several people to reopen the
access to free email discussion. I'm forwarding the
following exchange with permission from the author
because I think it's a useful illustration.

>>I travel often and am looking for an email provider service (like
>juno) that
>>will allow me to check for important messages often without charging a
>bundle.
>>My job as a tech writer would be much easier!

This blurb, coming from the original poster, made a valient
attempt to tie to technical communication, but "my
job as a tech writer would be much easier" isn't much of
a tie to technial communication--a coffee pot on my desk
would make my job easier but I'm not posting messages
asking for recommendations.

From an individual who emailed me offline. Reposted with permission.

>Got'ta disagree with you on this one, but I do not intend to get into
>a debate with you. This is directly TW related since more and more TWs
>are mobile; not just telecommuting, but moving from site to site.
>This is expecially true in my world (consultancy) that can put me on
>the road for extended periods, documenting client products, etc. It
>would be beneficial to me, as a TW, to have that ubiquitious 800/888
>number so I could access my mail regardless of where I happened to
>land.

That's a good way of disputing the decision.
Note that the terms "censor", "idiot", and "jerk"
don't appear in the copy. That's key.
Additionally, the message was sent offline--not to
the list. That's also key.
That's also a solid connection to technical
communication issues--not "I'm a tech writer
and I use ABC" but "As a tech writer, ABC is
important." I hope the distinction is clear.

Please keep public postings narrowly focused on
access to free email services and don't range too broadly
into other areas. Even better would be to post responses
privately and request a summary to the list.

Eric

Eric J. Ray TECHWR-L Listowner
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com http://www.raycomm.com/

Syndicated columnist: Rays on Computing
Technology Department Editor, _Technical Communication_
Co-author of _Unix Visual Quickstart Guide_, _Mastering HTML 4_,
_Dummies 101: HTML 4_, _HTML 4 for Dummies Quick Reference_, others.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=