Re: Callouts on Artwork - Best Method Please?

Subject: Re: Callouts on Artwork - Best Method Please?
From: Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- CHISP -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 12:27:41 -0700

Richard A. Myshrall wrote:

>I have been wondering for some time what is the best method
>to add callouts to label artwork such as screen captures.
>
>I have used Word's labeling features to add callouts to
>graphics in the past but I have never before been required
>to add callouts to artwork destined for other software (such
>as Frame or PageMaker). I would be very curious to know how
>others handle this task in their documents.

I always import the screen shot into a graphics program, such as
Illustrator or Visio or anything else, and add the callouts there. Word
has ways of moving callouts in relation to the graphic (maybe this is fixed
in Word 97), and in general just doesn't give you the level of control that
a regular graphics program does.

Frame has more graphics capabilities, but I learned this trick before I
started using Frame and never tried to add callouts within Frame. Even
with Frame, I suspect that it's still better to do the callouts in a
regular graphics program. This is especially true if you have any need to
move the document between formats (like between Frame and HTML).

--
Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- chisp -dot- net>
Author, _Practical Software Requirements: A Manual of Content & Style_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=