Re: Foreign Languages in WinHelp

Subject: Re: Foreign Languages in WinHelp
From: Josee Mariann Proulx <proulxj -at- ENIGMA -dot- GLOBALSERVE -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 14:21:43 -0500

À (At) 13:15 -0500 30/10/1998, Karl Muchow écrivait (wrote) :
>Folks,
>
>Can anyone answer a few questions about creating foreign language versions
>of WinHelp files? Microsoft, Robohelp and a number of other sources have
>been unable to provide answers after a week of questioning. Any help would
>be greatly appeciated!

I sure can regarding French, Spanish and maybe double-byte language files.

>Do the localized foreign language versions of Microsoft's Winhelp engine
>(versions 3.1, 95, 98) display the interface (e.g., "Forward" and "Back"
>buttons, etc.) in the local language or is it always in English?

No, they display in the local language. It never always in English, unless
it's the English version :-)

>To compile localized foreign language versions of Winhelp, do we need the
>foreign language versions of the Winhelp compiler and of Micorosoft Windows?

Just make sure that your keyboard can type the correct "foreign" characters
(accents, pictograms, etc) so you can create and view the "foreign" content
of your online help. I have created French and Spanish online help that way
with the English version of Windows and RoboHelp. With the double-spaced
languages, it's the same, except if you need to maintain the original
format that was, let's say, done in English. Obviously, your format will
have to change.
Software localizers often have that kind of problem.

>Can double-byte language RoboHelp files (Japanese) be authored and QA tested
>on a system using the English version of Windows? Amazingly, Microsoft and
>Robohelp have been unable to answer this question after a week of questioning.

Yes. Just make sure you have the right Windows extensions for your kepboard
and monitor display. Microsoft guys should be able to answer that. You
shouold contact them directly in the foreign country that applies. Those
guys would have the right answer for you.

>Is any specialized hardware required to create a system that can be used to
>QA test double-byte (Japanese) RoboHelp files? Can we just install Win 95J
>(Japanese) and the localized versions of RoboHelp to author/QA test our files?

You don't need any specialized hardware. It should be fine like that.

Good luck,

Josee Mariann Proulx
Technical writer
Ad Opt Technologies