Re: putting a bitmap on a web page

Subject: Re: putting a bitmap on a web page
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 20:14:44 -0800

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 18:11:40 -0500, Melissa Alton wrote:

>I'm trying to figure out how to put a bitmap on a web page. I made the bitmap
>in microsofts paint program and when I view the bitmap through my browser it
>shows me the entire paint program and lets me edit the graphic. But I dont
>want to be able to see the entire program or edit the graphic.
>
>Can anybody give me instructions here? I cant point you to a web site because
>its not live yet.

Avoid bitmaps (and uncompressed bitmapped formats like TIF and PCX) in web
pages. The files are far too large and take too long to load (example: a
640x480x256-color bitmap is nearly a meg in size, and will take several
minutes to load over even the fastest modems). Instead, stick to compressed
file formats, such as GIF and JPG (aforementioned file should be less than
50k in size). Use a good graphic utility like JView, Lview, Painshop Pro,
PMView, etc. etc. ad nauseum to convert or re-save the file in one of these
formats.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

How many times, must I stand in the waves of this crashing sea?
How many times, must I forgive all the hurt that's been done to me?
Let the jury go? Set the sinner free?
Seventy times seven...
- White Heart, "Seventy Times Seven"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=