Re: FWD: RE: ethical problem/job hunting

Subject: Re: FWD: RE: ethical problem/job hunting
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 11:02:33 -0800

Awkward situation. (I, too, am a W-2 consultant who just came off a
client-site mgt. slot where I was sent as a TW - equally awkward, but
another story.) First, what are your 'conditions of employment?' Are
you prohibited from accepting employment if offered by a client?

Are you prohibited from soliciting (submitting a resume) direct
employment from/with a client?

How big is the client on your consultancy's client list -- if an
800-pound gorilla, your company probably will choke a bit, but accept
the fact you are wanted full time by the client. (My company currently
is in a similar situation ... I don't think our W-2 coder really
CARES, but the Fortune 200 gorilla has a 12-months and roll-over rule
and it needs our lad, so ... more-over, my company is about to give
the lad some special perks for his last days with us since he soon
will be a client-employee who we want to remember us favorably).

How long have you been with your current employer? Have you been
treated fairly? Are others treated fairly? In my case, we lost an
Admin Asst who wanted to be a recruiter to a company who hired her as
a recruiter ... she's going nicely, thank you, and the current BUM
can't seem to take full advantage of my charm to meet with
current/potential clients AND employee candidates -- I'm a senior (in
tenure and $$) person who knows the company better than the current
BUM (that's Busines Unit Manager). '

Also, before making the jump to a perm position, understand that
''permanent'' is NOT; one thing about your contracting job is that
when Client A's p[roject is over, Client B or C or D will need your
skills. If you are ''perm'' and the company feels it can do without
your services, you are on the street -- again. (Yeah, I know and I
frequently remind one and all, that ''I was lookin' for a job when I
got here and I can look for a job again'' -- but I ALSO know that I
have a 'reasonable' salary (albeit probably 'topped out'), 15
days-a-year vacation, decent insurance, really good retirement, etc.
etc. )

My suggestion is read any contract paperwork you have with yoour
comapny and ask your client-side friend to review the clint/company
contract for conflicts. Be nice and diplomatic to one and all.

---"Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM> wrote:

> I myself (anonymous) am in a work situation where:
> 1. I am a full-time tech writer consultant/mgr in a pretty good
consulting
> firm, working in a "writing" project that's not challenging or even
> satisfactory. (my client-project is not management, but my position
w/
> consulting firm is.) I work closely with my firm's
==
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=