Re: The Kiss of Death

Subject: Re: The Kiss of Death
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- SIMPLYWRITTEN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:28:17 -0500

I think it depends mostly on your area and times. Try to get a job in the
Berkeley area with a military background, for example. Yet, there are parts
of the country where military personnel are welcomed as being "insiders" to
many government processes, as well as being generally more mature and
disciplined.

I'd recommend ignoring your recruiter (or at least getting lots of second
opinions from others in your area) and capitalizing on your experience,
military and otherwise. In Indiana, USA, military personnel fit in
everywhere, and they're often welcomed for the (usually) very good
qualifications and bearing they bring to the workforce. They can be
intimidating, of course, to those with less worldly experience. But I'd have
to think that there are enough veteran managers and company owners to make
it possible for you to find good work anywhere but in the most anti-military
areas. Come to Indiana. There's work for everybody around here.

Besta luck.

Tim Altom
Adobe Certified Expert, Acrobat
Simply Written, Inc.
The FrameMaker support people
Creators of the Clustar Method for task-based documentation
317.899.5882
http://www.simplywritten.com

>Good Morning, Folks.
>
>I was recently told by a recruiter (yes I am in the market for work) that
>showing military experience in your resume, even as tech writer, was the
>kiss of death. Management does not want someone "with a military attitude."
>
>Question: Is this the way it is at your company or in your area? or is it
>localized to one city or one recruiter?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=