Re: The Kiss of Death

Subject: Re: The Kiss of Death
From: Laurie Morgan <lmorgan -at- BROADBANDNETWORKS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:25:03 -0500

I think it depends more on the industry in which you are looking for work. When
looking for work in the software industry I would downplay it, but in more
hard-core engineering industries it may be seen as an asset. I know that
wireless communications companies, such as Nortel or Ericsson, might see
military background as a "good thing" for someone who was going to write
installation methods for microwave radios.

On the other hand, a software development company (where there is a cultural
emphasis on creativity and flexibility in design of both product and
documentation) might be uneasy with someone with military background, making
the assumption (rightly or wrongly) that someone with that background might be
too rigid and inflexible to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.

In any case, get familiar with the culture of the industry in which you are
seeking work and adapt your resume accordingly. Talk to people who work in the
industry. In your resume, emphasis those characteristics that you have that
match the "perceived requirements" of that industry.

Laurie Morgan

John Gilger wrote:

> I was recently told by a recruiter (yes I am in the market for work) that
> showing military experience in your resume, even as tech writer, was the
> kiss of death. Management does not want someone "with a military attitude."
>
> Question: Is this the way it is at your company or in your area? or is it
> localized to one city or one recruiter?

begin:          vcard
fn:             Laurie  Morgan
n:              Morgan;Laurie
org:            Nortel Networks BWA
adr;dom:        ;;;Winnipeg;Manitoba;;
email;internet: lmorgan -at- broadbandnetworks -dot- com
title:          Senior Information Developer
tel;work:       ESN 771-2281  or (204) 631-2281
note:           ESN 771-2281 or (204) 631-2281
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard