Re[2]: Eliminating .txt file hard returns

Subject: Re[2]: Eliminating .txt file hard returns
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:35:34 -0500

> You haven't said which platform you're using,
> but if you're on a Mac...

... the invaluable BBEdit (even the free "lite" version) makes this
kind of thing a snap. It also converts line ends between PC and Mac
format, and much more.

Let's not forget Alpha, which will ask if you want it converted to
paragraph form when opening the file. Just answer "yes" and resave.

But no one has pointed you toward the cross platform "swiss army chainsaw,"
which rather surprises me. It's for such tasks that Perl was created. Perl
has often been called "the duct tape that holds the web together" because
it's so useful for things like this. You might want to look for it for your
system, then try www.perl.com and go looking, as I'm sure someone has
written a Perl script specifically for this problem.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=