Re: Bad Behavior in Workplace (was Ugly Incident)

Subject: Re: Bad Behavior in Workplace (was Ugly Incident)
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton__ -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:18:19 -0700

Beth Agnew wrote--

energetic workplace, and one that condones, encourages and fosters bad
behavior. Bad behavior is never acceptable, and I don't care who you
are or where you work -- if it belittles, denigrates, offends,
intimidates, frightens, or otherwise harms the people who work there,
it is just plain wrong. Abusive language is wrong, every time.

I'm not sure I agree completely. The best work situation I ever had
included name-calling (some of which I do not permit from my or around
my children), pranks (some of which were fantastic), and other things
I would never, ever dream of doing in a normal workplace. I wouldn't
do them around you because I know it would offend you and I respect
that. But it worked for us. It was the best group of people I ever
worked with and I miss them all terribly. It was a stressful situation
and the messing around helped lighten the load on everyone. But
everyone had the right to say stop (and I did once) and that ended it.

As for how this is relevant to TC, I think a lot of this profession is
high stress and technical people are, I think, unique in some regards.
If you can walk up to an SME and call him or her a b -at- $t@rd and they
like you for it, then you've won him or her over. Like all else in our
profession, your message has to be carefully considered and tailored
to your market.

Respectfully submitted,
==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=