Re: Learning from others' manuals

Subject: Re: Learning from others' manuals
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:47:11 -0400

Greetings!

> tech writer made the comment to me that "REAL tech writers don't read the
> manual." She made the comment while I was looking up info in the
> s/w manual for something I was working on.

I would have changed that to "REAL IGNORANT tech writers don't read the
manual". I'll admit, I'd rather fiddle with a new application for a while
before I start reading the manual. But when I need that application to do
something specific, the manual had better have what I need or I won't be a
happy camper.

Here's an example: when I got the ClickBook application to print a booklet
in Word (tech whirlers may remember the ClickBook thread I spawned a couple
of months ago), I fiddled with ClickBook for awhile, but when I got in a
jam, I used the online help and presto! Instant answer!

Now if I was the silly tech writer who refused to use the documentation, I
might still be tearing out my hair and striking my computer with blunt
instruments. Good thing I'm not silly.
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
---
John David Hickey (jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

Lone Writer at Farabi Technology Corp. (Montreal, Quebec)

They say the pen is mighter than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
--
Do not confuse my opinons with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=