FWD: Ethical Problem

Subject: FWD: Ethical Problem
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 08:14:35 -0600

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

Greetings!

I'm in sort of an ethical dilemma RIGHT NOW; need your advice ASAP.
Here's what has happened:

I'm the "senior writer" in a small group of writers for a major service
industry employer. For our group, I've been given the responsibilities
of "project lead" and editor, so I catch it coming and gpoing, so to
speak. In other words, nothing gets past me to our customers, either
way.

What has happened is that one of our "staff" writers, with my help of
course, just released a 2-volume (1k pp) set of P&P manuals for our
internat'l customers. This was her FIRST major project for the Company.
The writer took the project from cradle to grave: she not only revised
the manuals, but also did a major re-org of all content, applied a new,
more usable style template, designed the covers (art), and handled the
print coordination (all of which no other person in our group has done
heretofore) -- all on time and within budget.

I told the boss that I'm proud to have my name on th manuals.

OK, great success story, right? Well, it's also our Company's style of
rewarding these "small" internal successes, usually with a
"Atta-Boy/Girl" letter and a nice little bonus check -- which, my name
as editor also being on the manuals, we both got this week, in a little
ceremony in our manager's office with all the group present.

That was right before lunch this Monday. Right AFTER lunch, the writer
and I were called back into our manager's office, whereupon he informed
us that the "MANUALS WERE A DISASTER" --it seems he discovered that a
few pages of (obscure) tabulated information from one manual somehow
didn't make it through the "translation" -- and he promptly demanded our
congratulatory letters back and then TORE THEM INTO SHREDS IN OUR
PRESENCE.

My reaction was to calmly tell the boss that he was overacting
("disasters" are when people die), which he refused to acknowledge. By
then, I was beginning to lose my cool, so I simply said "we'll have to
'agree to disagree' on this one" and walked out.

Well, people, I can tell you that I have survived 7 years of the USMC
and 3 ex-wives (3 kids, 1 each), and my ego will survive this one, too!

But as you might imagine, our young staff writer is devastated, and told
me she's looking for a new job.

Yesterday, we were called back in to our manager's office (expecting an
apology?); however, he gaves us a PHOTOCOPY of the citations, with a
handwritten note from our Director (his boss), adding his congrats...

SO, having had some time to further process this, I've decided that
today I'm going back in to the boss...for a one-on-one. What I will say
is to explain how his behavior has damaged the ego of our talented, but
impressionable young team member, and that I EXPECT HIM TO MAKE AMENDS
TO HER ASAP ( maybe a new letter and a heart-felt apology?).

IF he refuses, I plan to take it to the Director.

Should I start polishing up my resume?

Please advise.

name withheld by request.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=