Re: Shipping a product with only the online help

Subject: Re: Shipping a product with only the online help
From: Steve Riley <SRILEY -at- BCT-SYSTEMS -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:01:10 +0100

> To my dismay, my project leader has decided to try sending
> out a product with only the online help. No installation
> guide, no user's guide.

We need to be careful to not react in self-interested
ways here

...well of course there should be printed manuals,
because, well because I write printed manuals.

As the list mantra goes, it depends almost entirely on
your audience. In our development shop, my colleagues
devour new products. I'd say the online/printed split
is maybe 80/20, and of that 20% many have unbroken spines.

Things change, online is becoming more appropriate as
expectations change. The value of your product has only
a hazy relationship to the weight of the box it comes in.
Ask yourself what's appropriate, it may be different to
what you've done before ...or maybe not.

Good luck,
Steve Riley

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=