Re: Winword.exe Error

Subject: Re: Winword.exe Error
From: Linda Sherman <linsherm -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 21:29:25 -0400

Morgan Johnson wrote:

> Problem: Mixed portrait/landscape document crashes when any attempt is made
> to print any of the landscape tables.

> Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

Instead of wisdom, would you settle for advice based on similar
experiences?

It's been my experience (your mileage may vary) that 99 times out of
100, the reason landscape pages won't print is because there's not
enough memory in the printer.

You *might* be able to print the page if you print it by itself
immediately after turning the printer on and before printing anything
else. That way there aren't any turds left lying around in printer
memory from previous pages. You might just be able to squeak the
crashing page in.

More likely, you need to either add memory to the printer or simplify
the page somehow. A common problem is that landscape pages are often
complex tables, charts, or diagrams. If this is the case, some things
you might try include (a) remove all shading and fancy borders; (b) use
a smaller font size, especially for boldface headings, captions, titles
etc.; and (c) make sure you use only printer-installed fonts. Anything
that simplifies the document and reduces "black space" and memory usage
in the printer.

L.
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>
Freelance Writer: Technical - Business - Government

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=