Re: Choosing software

Subject: Re: Choosing software
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- POLYDOC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 17:39:00 +0200

Goodevening Jeanie,

Framemaker is especially designed to write books with, it is perfect for
large, complex documents. But books are rarely read online. (by useres that
is). And a hard copy manual is something else than online help (whole
different approach and setup). True, you can choose html or pdf as output
in Frame, and you could recompile this with an html-editor, but this would
not be the most convenient and easiest approach.
Robohelp and Doc-to-help both use Word as their editor, with all it's
(dis)advantages (as youll have read today). Both these tools are made to
create online help with; and that's what you're interested in, isn't it.
Another thing to consider here, is whether to produce Winhelp or HTML-help.
I personally would recommend HTML help, it is the future (for the next few
years anyway, IMHO). Both packages are able to produce this, and both have
their merits. From what I understand, reading this list, more people are
using Robohelp than Doc-to-help. Sofar I've only used Doc-to-help and it
suited my needs. You should check the archives for discussions on these and
other Help Authoring Tools (HATs), there is of plenty information in there
to help you pick a favorite.

So, my two eurocents would be: choose a dedicated HAT if you're only going
to produce help and web-files.

Hope this helps

Jeroen Hendrix
Polydoc
The Netherlands

Mail to jhe -at- polydoc -dot- com
Web: http://www.polydoc.com

Good Morning,
I was recently hired as a Documentation Analyst with my company. I was
instructed to be "creative and on the cutting edge" for the product I am
assigned to write for. specifically mentioned was on-line and web-based
help and tutorials - no paper.

this is a new product, in the later stages of R&D, scheduled for release
in early '99.

Since this is to be on-line and web-based documentation, I would value
the group opinion about the most useful product to use.

The software mentioned in the office so far are Doc-To-Help and
RoboHelp. In today's discussion FrameMaker has been brought up a lot
for use w/ large documents.

Thank you for your advice, Jeanie

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=