Re: SCREAM CAPTURES

Subject: Re: SCREAM CAPTURES
From: David Lettvin <dlettvin -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:51:10 -0700

Captured screen images are low-resolution, 96 pixels per inch in
Windows. Adobe claims that it this low resolution that makes them look
jagged and blurry when viewed or printed. As I'm sure you've noticed,
the things most affected are the detailed parts of the image, such as
fonts, menus, and dialog boxes.

High resolution screen capture utilities and bitmap smoothing
utilities won't help you. Acrobat will still display the capture poorly.

These screen images may also be blurry if you print them on a
non-PostScript printer.

Adobe recommends that you display screen shots at the same
magnification (resolution) that you took them. They claim that it's
not their fault that they can't handle this type of graphic properly.
They've been claiming this for so long that most of us live with it,
find a way around it, or don't use Acrobat.

If you have a UI that doesn't take up a lot of screen real estate, or
if you're in an experimental frame of mind, you can try the following:

Before you capture a screen image
-----------------------------------
- Increase the size of the fonts your system uses for menus and dialog
boxes.

- Minimize the number of colors used in dialog boxes.

- Configure your monitor to a lower resolution display setting to
increase the image size (lowest res=640 x 480).

Before you insert a captured screen image into a file
- Open the image in an graphic editor and increase its resolution or
resize it to the intended viewing size.

If you use Acrobat Distiller
-------------------------------
- Deselect Distiller's compression options.

Set the PDF file to a magnification higher than 100%
1. Open the PDF file in Acrobat Exchange.
2. Choose File > Document Info > Open.
3. In the Magnification text box, type the magnification at which you
want the pages to appear. Adobe says 134 and 192 are best. Experiment.
4. Click OK.

GOOD LUCK!

---"Eisenberg, Neil" <NeilE -at- INTERWORLD -dot- COM> wrote:

> Is there a 'best' format to save color graphics (i.e.
> GIF, jpg) that will later be printed in B/W? Will any technique
also
> improve my PDF quality?

==
Honi soit qui mal y pense.