Telecommuting availability (was Re: US Professional issues)

Subject: Telecommuting availability (was Re: US Professional issues)
From: Peter Collins <peter -dot- collins -at- BIGFOOT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 08:09:25 +1000

You asked:
Q: "Do you become more trustworthy after proving that you can do
>the job without someone standing over you all the time?"

A: Yes! I have done several Telecommuting contracts but they all started
out as on-site. At interview I asked whether they would entertain
telecommuting at their option when they felt they trusted my style and
level of output. In each case I got a "we'll see" and after some days or
weeks, when I was meeting targets for quantity and quality I was
'permitted' to work at home. Data transfer methods have included email,
floppies, zip disks, and laplink from my laptop.

In all cases I have attended site meetings to gather the first round of
expert data, present status reports and time sheets, and for review
discussions on the work in progress. Once they know your face, content
experts seem content to provide additional information by phone.
Peter Collins, VIVID Management Pty Ltd,
26 Bradleys Head Road, MOSMAN 2088, Australia
+61 2 9968 3308, fax +61 2 9968 3026, mobile +61 (0)18 419 571
Management Consultants and Technical Writers
email: peter -dot- collins -at- bigfoot -dot- com ICQ#: 10981283
web pages: http://www.angelfire.com/pe/pcollins/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=