Re: US Professional issues

Subject: Re: US Professional issues
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 11:25:46 -0700

Melissa -

> There seems to be a real resistance to telecommuting, as well. I'm not sure
> a company should bear the cost of relocating a family to a high-priced area
> unless the ROI is significant. However, as tech writers, we could perform
> many tasks required of the jobs from a remote location, flying in to the
> home office for meetings, interviews, etc. In Orange County CA, I'm not
> even that far from the Silicon Valley yet my job inquiries in that area
> haven't been well-received. What up with that?

There's a general resistance to telecommuting in most parts of the country, as
many of us have observed. Why? I can only guess. I suspect that a lot of
companies still have this nagging fear of 'if I can't see you, you're not
working' when it comes to contractors. They feel they're more likely to get
value for their dollar if they can see you working at their site. We've found
that, despite impressive credentials and a long list of satisfied Silicon Valley
clients, most of our new clients still want to see us from time to time, even
though we produce and deliver stuff on time, meet milestones, are in regular
email contact, etc. <sigh> Call it touchy-feely if you like, but apparently
you still have to have feet on the premises from time to time.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=