Re: File sizes in different languages

Subject: Re: File sizes in different languages
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:44:51 -0600

Jennifer writes:

> Hi there, me again with my the problems of my differently sized
> Word files. I checked to see if Fast Save was a problem but it
> wasn't.

8< 8< 8< snip

> The files
> have passed around thru' a lot of people before getting to me. My
> problem is that we will be putting all the files on to one disk
> (zipped) and distributing it to customers.

Are these RTF files by chance? If so, opening them on different systems,
each with different fonts loaded, may have caused the font table to expand
to its limit. In some cases, this actually makes it so the RTF file can't be
opened in Word 6 or 7. (I think Word 8 has taken care of this bug.) You can
use a product called Fontex to remove the unused fonts from the font table.
That can reduce the size of the file in some cases. You can download it at
http://www.downloadsafari.com/

> When they see that the
> Dutch and English files are twice the size of the others, the
> French, Italian and German customers could think we're not giving
> them some info, which isn't the case.

It's common these days to customize information for different markets. If we
send a manual to Germany, the Norwegian regulatory information has to be
removed. Users in different markets shouldn't expect to see the same
information, especially since their governments mandate customized
information in many cases. If you want to avoid such comparisons, perhaps
you should create directories for each language.

Good luck.

> Bill Burns
> ILE Communications/Eccentric Technology Consultant
> billdb -at- ile -dot- com
> You can't gouge out your mind's eye.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=