Prefixes

Subject: Prefixes
From: John Hoppe <johnh -at- RADIONICS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:24:05 -0400

>Susan Hamilton wrote:

>The other person says that when guidelines are not already established,
>language rules develop from conventional sources. So, even though the
>dictionary or a grammar book neither prohibits not prescribes words such as
>"amotivated", common language use says that it is not correct and that
>"unmotivated" is the proper choice (also it is in the dictionary). If you
>wanted to go around using amotivated and everyone started using it, it might
>eventually become acceptable.

I would say the 'other person' is right. English is not dictated by
grammarians or dictionaries; rather, these sources reflect the state of the
language as used--and often misused--by people speaking English. English
changes all the time, usually because a) people in general use a word or
phrase in a new way (think of slang for an easy example here) or b)
talented and well-published writers invent or revise words for their
purposes. The list of poets in English who have made up words (neologisms)
for special purposes is long.

Generally, consistent use by the majority of speakers is what determines,
over time, acceptability in language use. Alas. We now seem condemned to
"thru" as an accepted variant of "through"; "deconstruct" as a synonym for
"analyze" (it isn't); and my personal bête noire: "beg the question." "Beg
the question" is a specific kind of logical fallacy: it means to answer a
question by simply re-stating it. Example: "Why is your computer crashing?"
Answer: "Because it's not working." "Beg the question" does not mean
"suggest the following question," as in "The Yankees' success begs the
question: can they win it all?" Maybe if everyone on this list refuses to
use it incorrectly, we can stem the tide of misuse of this elegant little
phrase.

So let's be clear and correct in our technical communications.

John Hoppe, Technical Editor
johnh -at- radionics -dot- com
Radionics, Inc.
781-272-1233 x277