Re: XML, XSL, and other related new tools

Subject: Re: XML, XSL, and other related new tools
From: Richard Mateosian <xrm -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 10:08:11 -0700

>I've tried using CSSs, but they haven't really paid any
>significant dividends, yet.

I use a CSS on my website:

http://www.cyberpass.net/~srm/

Take a look at the sources if you want to see how it works (thanks
to Deb Ray for helping me get the syntax right). You should be able
to access the actual stylesheet at:

http://www.cyberpass.net/~srm/srmsite.css

No great loss if you can't. Here are the entire contents:

@meta { Title: "SRM site properties"; }
BODY { background: #fcffcc }

This simply assures that every page of the website that links to
this stylesheet and doesn't override the BODY statement appears with
a background color somewhere between ivory and yellow. That is,
that's how it appears on my display -- yours may differ, because
it's not one of the "good" HTML colors.(*) I don't care for any of
the good colors as a background.

In any event, if I ever want to change the background color, I only
have to do so in one place. ...RM

(*) See Ray & Ray, HTML 4 for Dummies Quick Reference (IDG, 1998)

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- cyberpass -dot- net> www.cyberpass.net/~srm/
Review Editor, IEEE Micro Berkeley, CA

© Copyright 1998. All rights reserved.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=