Re: Blue chip, bored, and biding time

Subject: Re: Blue chip, bored, and biding time
From: Kathleen Padova <kpadova -at- MALVERNSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 14:41:56 -0400

------ =_NextPart_001_01BDF200.A261EB90

Anonymous-

I have been in situations where noone has work for me or I am in between
crises (sp?).

I have also learned that it is very dangerous for me to be bored for
long periods of time (picture a downward spiral).

When the situation is that I am just in between projects, I usually have
a list of things to do such as catch up on professional articles, learn
more about the apps I'm using or new apps, learn more about the company
and other departments.

When nobody has work for me, often it is that noone is really sure what
I can do. Rather than wait for someone to give me something to do or
think up some way I can contribute, I usually take a "do it first,
explain later" approach. In most cases, I was able to provide a
valuable contribution, open a few eyes, and keep myself gainfully
employed in the process.

I also tend to think in terms of paying the rent. I don't want anyone to
wonder why they are paying me to be idle. If I suspect that there isn't
enough work to keep me busy full time - I'll find some, fast!

Two months may not be enough time to understand a long project or
unfamiliar environment. I thought I would die when I realized that I was
working with a DOS application (people, forgive me, I started on a Mac
and moved to Windows 3.1 - completely missed the DOS wagon). After
several months I feel comfortable with the environment; but I had also
realized that no one was going to come to me to make sure I understood
the project. I had to find the specs and ask lots of questions. Waiting
is usually a futile and frustrating exercise.

I don't recommend the approach of stretching out the work to make it
last as long as possible. You might get a reputation of being a slow
worker and as a result, you may get passed over for even more work
assignments that are time critical.

If you actively seek out information, work assignments, and suggest ways
you might contribute, you might receive a more positive response from
your coworkers and manager. If your job doesn't work out, it looks
better for you if you can show that you did all you can to make it work.

Good luck,
Kathleen

------ =_NextPart_001_01BDF200.A261EB90

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.0.1458.49">

</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>Anonymous-</FONT>
<BR>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>I have been in situations where =
noone has work for me or I am in between crises (sp?). </FONT>
<BR>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>I have also learned that it is =
very dangerous for me to be bored for long periods of time (picture a =
downward spiral). </FONT>
<BR>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>When the situation is that I am =
just in between projects, I usually have a list of things to do such as =
catch up on professional articles, learn more about the apps I'm using =
or new apps, learn more about the company and other =
departments.</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>When nobody has work for me, often =
it is that noone is really sure what I can do. Rather than wait for =
someone to give me something to do or think up some way I can =
contribute, I usually take a &quot;do it first, explain later&quot; =
approach.&nbsp; In most cases, I was able to provide a valuable =
contribution, open a few eyes, and keep myself gainfully employed in =
the process.</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>I also tend to think in terms of =
paying the rent. I don't want anyone to wonder why they are paying me =
to be idle. If I suspect that there isn't enough work to keep me busy =
full time - I'll find some, fast!</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>Two months may not be enough time =
to understand a long project or unfamiliar environment. I thought I =
would die when I realized that I was working with a DOS application =
(people, forgive me, I started on a Mac and moved to Windows 3.1 - =
completely missed the DOS wagon). After several months I feel =
comfortable with the environment; but I had also realized that no one =
was going to come to me to make sure I understood the project. I had to =
find the specs and ask lots of questions. Waiting is usually a futile =
and frustrating exercise.</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>I don't recommend the approach of =
stretching out the work to make it last as long as possible. You might =
get a reputation of being a slow worker and as a result, you may get =
passed over for even more work assignments that are time =
critical.</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>If you actively seek out =
information, work assignments, and suggest ways you might contribute, =
you might receive a more positive response from your coworkers and =
manager. If your job doesn't work out, it looks better for you if you =
can show that you did all you can to make it work.</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>Good luck,</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>Kathleen</FONT>
<BR>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>