Monitors and paper sizes

Subject: Monitors and paper sizes
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 06:39:48 -0600

Laurence Burrows quite rightly took me to task for my statement
that <<Until the standard computer monitor is at least 8.5X11 inches
in portrait mode (vertical) and has 300 dpi resolution or better, the
paper and online media are too different for a "one size fits all"
approach.>>

Though I'd like to claim that my use of the words "at least 8.5x11"
absolves me of guilt, in truth, 'twas a conditioned response
overriding reasoned debate. What I really need to do is rewire my
brain to say "letter sized paper" instead of 8.5x11. Any suggestions
on useful software for this task? <g>

Laurence then suggests <<If you ensure that anything you publish will
fit either format, e.g. the smaller height and width of the two sizes
(which would be 209.9 x 279.4 mm) then *all* of us can print it.>>

Indeed. In fact, the actual required size depends entirely on what
you're trying to publish, and it has to fit within these parameters.
A "standard" paperback book will fit on most monitors, and print on
most commonly available office printing papers; a tabloid newsletter
is considerably more of a challenge. Ideally, I'd like to see
21-inch monitors as the standard (we're headed that way now) so that
everyone can see a full page, whatever country they're from. In the
meantime, the obvious solution is for all non-North Americans to get
with the trend and buy 8.5x11 paper <gdrlh... and then some>
--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Microsoft Word: It grows on you... but with a little fungicide,
you'll be feeling much better real soon now!"--GH

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=