Re: USAGE: (No) Capitals in "I", "you" and one's e-mail signature

Subject: Re: USAGE: (No) Capitals in "I", "you" and one's e-mail signature
From: Kevin Feeman <Kevin_Feeman -at- HILL-ROM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 13:54:04 -0400

Rita,

At the annual conference, I took a seminar talking about this same issue,
regarding how people write in e-mails. The main thing that I got out of it
was that most people use e-mail as a quick and dirty form of communication
exchange and rarely, if at all, do they use a spell checker or proof their
e-mails before they send them out. This goes for all types of people who
write e-mail, including technical writers/communicators. This can also be
plain laziness on the part of the person writing the e-mail Hence you have
misspellings, incomplete sentences, mixed up phrases, what have you. Which
really bothered me, especially the part that many technical communicators
do the same thing when writing e-mails. As a professional, in my
communication with others in the company I work for, I take the time and
effort to proof and spell check my e-mails. Heck, sometimes I even write
them, save them, then read through them the next day before I send the
e-mail out to make sure everything looks and sound right. Granted, I still
may have errors in my e-mails, but I make the extra effort to make
correspondence look professional, after all, that is what I am: a
professional writer! Aren't we all?

My two cents worth! I hope this helps.

Kevin

Dr Rita Puzmanova <rita -at- ext -dot- epe -dot- cz> on 10/06/98 02:53:08 PM

Please respond to rita -at- ext -dot- epe -dot- cz

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc: (bcc: Kevin Feeman/HRC/HII)

Dear all,
Could you please help me on the following:
1) Why does someone use "i" (meaning me) instead of "I" (in e-mail,
namely)?
2) Are there some languages which, instead of "I" put more emphasis onto
formal "You" through capitalizing the "Y" (Czech is an example)?
3) Why does someone manually sign the e-mail by his/her name without
(any) capitals?
Additionally: Why there are e-mail messages which do not use any
capitals what so ever (and require a "search" for every other sentence,
as dot gets easily overlooked)?
I can think of a variety of reasons for the above but I am really not
sure
and would appreciate the truth - any response and/or simply opinion (in
all cases pls respond directly to me, too).
Rita
ALIAS: rita -at- ieee -dot- org
From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=