research skills for tech writers

Subject: research skills for tech writers
From: "Morris, Michael" <MORRIS -at- COTR -dot- BC -dot- CA>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 11:50:07 -0600

Hi folks.. We're continuing the process of curriculum validation for our new online Technical Communications program, and the members of this listserv have sure been of great help to us.

Once again, we need your help. We're proposing to offer a course in the research skills needed by a tech writer. If yoy would take a moment to answer the following questions (and add any other comments), greatly appreciated. Please reply by private email to morris -at- cotr -dot- bc -dot- ca

Thanks

1. Define research in terms applicable to a technical writer.

2. What kinds of research do you do regularly? (what do you need to know?

3. How did you learn your research skills? course on the job other

4. Do you see a need to improve your research skills? If so, what areas?

5. What, in your opinion, constitutes a good researcher?

Michael Morris
Curriculum Dept
College of the Rockies
Cranbrook BC