"slanguage" (was Re: stripey scroll bars)

Subject: "slanguage" (was Re: stripey scroll bars)
From: Alex Dianna <AADiann -at- ACCUSORT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:55:43 EST5EDT

Bruce Ashley <bashley -at- CREATEPRINT -dot- COM -dot- AU> observed:

> Anyone else notice that this well commented on thread has a title of
> "stripey scroll bars?"(?)
>
> I'll just put this down to another US variation (as he plants his
> tongue firmly in his cheek) :)

(Please note I do in fact see the humour in Bruce's comments and I'm
NOT getting defensive.)

I'd like to comment on this because it is an example of how the use
of nonstandard language ("stripey scroll bars") actually
*facilitated* discussion.

As the originator of this thread, I can tell you I chose the "stripey
scroll bars" subject header because another person used this little
mess of words to refer to something he noticed in ScreenCam.

His words jarred my memory of having seen something that fit this
description in another setting, so I used the same description to
ask my question.

Had Mr. Magennis called it what it was ("moire pattern"), I wouldn't
have had a clue as to what he meant and just might have skipped
right over it thinking it had no bearing on anything I do.

Along the lines of another current thread--
There are so many things I would *like* to know but won't have time
to get to until after I get the answers to the things I definitely
*need* to know. Rest assured, I won't be putting "graphics expert"
on my resume any time soon.

And Bruce, as far as it being a U.S. variation (again, sense of
humour noted)... Consider the fact that Mr. Magennis (the original
user of the words in a different context) is writing to us from
Dublin, Ireland. Hmmmm... :)

By the way, thank you to everyone who offered explanations and fixes
for the moire pattern issue. Just think how smart I'll sound now
that I don't have to call that whatchamacallit-thingamabob-funkiness-
that-sometimes-happens-to-screen-shots "stripey scroll bars" anymore!

G'day, mate!
Alex
(tongue planted firmly in her *own* cheek)

Alex Dianna
Technical Writer
Accu-Sort Systems, inc.
ph: 215.996.8741 fx: 215.996.8787