Re: Word: XRef Problem

Subject: Re: Word: XRef Problem
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:26:43 -0400

J.L.,

First of all, I assume that what you consider a problem is that the line
is
breaking at all, not just _where_ it is breaking. Most of the other
from occurring in the middle of the cross-reference, and their
suggestions
indicate how simple that problem is to fix. But if your real problem is
an
unnatural, unwanted line break, there are several potential causes
depending on how you created the cross-reference (which you did not
indicate in your query). Among the possibilities (and this is not an
exhaustive list...) are:

1) If your caption starts with a manual line break (shift-enter,
displayed on-
screen as a bent, left-pointing arrow if you display non-printing
characters)
to provide additional space before the caption, this character will get
picked up as part of the cross-reference to that caption. If this
scenario
applies, you'll see a line break character in the middle of the
cross-ref
if you display non-printing characters .

2) If your caption is preceded by an empty paragraph of the Caption
style
(typically done to provide additional space above the caption), that
empty
paragraph will be included as part of the cross-reference text. If you
display
non-printing characters, you'll see this as a paragraph symbol in the
middle of your cross-reference, and the formatting of the paragraph may
be weird because the paragraph symbols contain the formatting
attributes.

3) If your cross-reference is to a named bookmark that you have created
explicitly (rather than to the label of a figure caption), make sure
that your
bookmark does not include the paragraph mark for the paragraph before
the caption. Select Display Bookmarks from the View tab of Tools>Options
to display the beginnings and ends of bookmarks as square brackets and
turn on display of non-printing characters to make sure that none is
contained within the bookmark.

Hope this helps,

Fred Ridder ( f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com )
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corp.
Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy: