Re: "Technical writer" in other languages

Subject: Re: "Technical writer" in other languages
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:14:36 +0200

Bruce,

well, what happened here is that you ran into the trap which is one of the
reasons why we sometimes get "very funny" user manuals. Translating is more
than just looking up words in the dictionary. And it is also a reason why
serious translators work into their native language only (in fact, there
are only very few translators who produce top quality translations in both
directions of their language pairs). This is because there are many things
which are said in a very specific way in a certain culture (language). And
one has to grow up and be immersed in that culture to know it. And then,
one has to be familiar with the topic as well.

In German, Autor and Verfasser are mainly synonymous. But there are some
finesses when one uses one or the other term.

Take care.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
WWW: http://www.prodok.ch/prodok

Bridging the Knowledge Gap

______________________

>Hi Max,
>
>I translated the words back and forth a few times. If they didn't change,
>I ass-u-med they were OK.
>
>The German actually said Autor was author and Verfasser was writer.
>
>Go to show about assuming, eh! :)
>
>Thanks for the advice.
>
>Regards,
>
>Bruce Ashley