Re: "Technical writer" in other languages

Subject: Re: "Technical writer" in other languages
From: Bruce Ashley <bashley -at- CREATEPRINT -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:02:16 +1000

Hi Max,

I translated the words back and forth a few times. If they didn't change, I ass-u-med they were OK.

The German actually said Autor was author and Verfasser was writer.

Go to show about assuming, eh! :)

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Bruce Ashley
OZ

Max Wyss replied:

Bruce,

"technischer Verfasser" is EXTREMELY unusual in German. A technical writer
is a "Technischer Redakteur" (or Redaktor, depending on how far north one
is). Schon selterner ist "Technischer Autor". Although I don't speak
Spanish, I am alsw VERY sceptical about the Spanish term.

And now some ranting: It is highly recommended to be VERY cautious when
relying on Altavista's language services. Particularly their "translation"
of the "Starr Reports" was the source of a lot of laughter and confusion
all over the world. Well, when "law suit" becomes "costume de loi" in
French, something is not quite up to level.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=