color graphics in Winhelp

Subject: color graphics in Winhelp
From: Ruth Simpson <ruths -at- MCCABE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:31:14 -0400

Hi all,

I will be cross-posting this message -- sorry for any inconvenience.

I looked in the archives of both the Techwr-L and WinHlp-L mailing
lists, but I didn't find an answer to my problem. (Or perhaps I found it

and didn't recognize it because of my ignorance on the subject of
graphics.)

I'm using Corel Capture to capture hundreds of color graphics for a
WinHelp project, but the solid gray areas of these graphics show up in
Corel Draw 6 and in ForeHelp 2.97 with ugly cross-hatching. (Is this
called "dithering"?)

When Corel Capture, Image, Type is set to grayscale, I don't have this
problem. When Corel Capture, Image, Type is set to 256 color, I get
cross-hatching. I've tried different settings for Display Properties,
Settings, Color Palette and Desktop Area. I've tried different settings
for Display Properties, Appearance, including Henning Bertram's "Re:
Win95 Bitmaps & Dithering (Solution)" from 24 Oct 96 in the TECH-WR-L
archive. I've tried different number triplets in Registry Editor,
HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Control Panel, Colors. Nothing seems to work.

The most frustrating part of this is that, a couple of weeks ago, at the

beginning of my project, I imported two or three of these color graphics

into Corel Draw as a test, and they looked fine. Now, after capturing
about 50 color graphics, when I import these graphics into Corel and
ForeHelp, they look ugly. And I have no idea what has changed in the
mean time.

For background info: I'm using Windows NT 4.0. I've been capturing the
graphics as GIFs and using Paint Shop Pro 5 to batch-convert the GIFs to

WMFs. If necessary, I'll capture them as something other than GIF, that
Corel Capture allows, as long as the resulting WMFs are about the same
size in KB (or smaller) than the WMFs converted from GIFs. Corel Draw is

a part of this whole situation because I use it to annotate the
graphics.

If any of you have suggestions for solving this problem, please reply
directly to my address (ruths -at- mccabe -dot- com), since I subscribe to TECHWR-L

in digest form. I will send a summary to both lists, if necessary.

Ruth Simpson
Technical Writer
McCabe & Associates

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=