Re: Graphic design use

Subject: Re: Graphic design use
From: Cyndy Davis <kivrin -at- ZDNETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 08:16:46 -0700

Like many tech writers I also find myself with multiple hats (as opposed to HATS). While I enjoy doing some graphic illustrations, I have recently become alarmed at what is expected.

In the course of writing manuals and such, I like creating some graphics to illustrate a point. Since I work for a surveying company, most of the graphics are geometry and trig - things you used to have to draw for math class. I love doing this.

I also have taken on the job of cleaning up some of our other graphics. I'll go in and hand edit pixels to create a crisper logo on a splash screen. Needless to say, everyone hear loves that, it makes our products look more professional.

But here is the crux, since I am willing and enjoy the graphic work I do now I have been "promoted" to also handle all of the product graphic design for our company. This is in addition to the writing and web work that I do now. It will now be my job to create a master look for our company and each product. While I appreciate my boss thinking so high of me, I am intimidated since I don't have *that* kind of design experience.

Has any other tech writers seen themselves in this position? Any words of wisdom?

Cyndy Davis
Lenexa, Kansas

Free web-based email, anytime, anywhere!
ZDNet Mail - http://www.zdnetmail.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=