Re: Graphic design use

Subject: Re: Graphic design use
From: Tom Campbell <tomcampbell -at- EUDORAMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 07:00:57 -0700

David,

You wrote:
"Hmmm...
Strange, I wasn't aware that the majority of TW seem to have/want little exposure to the graphic design side of our biz."

What in the preceding posts gave you that impression?

Mary Lynn Kostash wrote, "In the real world
we don't all work in companies that can afford to have experts in many different disciplines. Those of us in smaller companies need to wear a lot of hats. However, Tom is correct when he asserts that some illustrations are simply 'beyond the scope' of most technical writers....I also do some illustrating--but I make sure that my employers know that I am not a trained graphic artist."

I mentioned that I can do flowcharts, diagrams, screen captures, layout, and other simple graphic arts work. I can't draw well enough to play Pictionary, but I can cut & paste clip art with the best of them! (I have also done a good bit of photography, but if were doing something like a corporate annual report I would hire a pro to take the photos.) This is merely recognizing my skills and limitations, not a matter of personal policy.

Both your and Bruce Ashley's responses jumped to the extreme conclusion that those who recognize their graphic arts limitations have decided to have *nothing* at all to do with design. This is the sort of logic my son often used in his early teen years:

Dad: "Shouldn't you turn off the TV and do your homework? You do have finals next week, don't you?"

Son: "Oh, so I can never watch TV again for the rest of my life, huh? Why don't I just become a hermit and live in a cave?!"

Does everything have to be either 1 or 0? Black or white? Could we possibly have a reasoned discourse on this subject???

And, by the way, in case anybody cares, Michael Morris's original questions appear earlier in this thread. I'm sure he'd appreciate an earnest attempt to answer them.

---
Tom Campbell
tomcampbell -at- EUDORAMAIL -dot- COM
"It's as large as life