Re: Documenting WinHelp files

Subject: Re: Documenting WinHelp files
From: Leslie McKendry-Smith <McKendrySmith -at- MBNET -dot- MB -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 08:56:45 -0500

Rick Stone <rick -dot- stone -at- WORLDSPAN -dot- COM> asked if anyone had ever documented
help files and how they did it.

Before I start writing a help file I write an outline using Excel. In the
spreadsheet I list each topic, topic ID, rtf file, alinks, klinks, browse
sequences, and anything else appropriate. I organize the topics as they
would appear in the help TOC. If I use a topic more than once, I show the
topic in the spreadsheet in a different colour.

I try to keep this spreadsheet up to date as I work. This way, if I have
to work on a help file months or years after I wrote it, I can see, at a
glance, what I did. I also hope that, if another writer has to work on one
of my projects, he or she whould find the spreadsheet useful.

Leslie

Leslie McKendry-Smith mckendry -at- mbnet -dot- mb -dot- ca
Documents OnLine Technical Writing Services
http://www.mbnet.mb.ca/~mckendry/doconlin/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=