Re: first job/international opportunities?

Subject: Re: first job/international opportunities?
From: Buck and Tilly Buchanan <writer -at- NTWS -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:44:25 -0500

George

Sorry to differ with you on skill sets needed to work overseas in T-writing,
but...

After many years of overseas work, I can tell you that few tech writing jobs
require any other language than English.

In most: you must be a native American English speaker. In some: knowledge
of or native British English is needed.
In every one that I've considered or known about: No knowledge of the local
language is needed. Tilly and I worked in Saudi on four different occasions.

Now, translators: that's a different ball of wax, of course.

Way to get the job: Don't expect to find it from here. Although a few offers
may come by mail/fax/email, the way to get the dream job is to buy a ticket
and apply in person.

My previous posts have told of my success in doing it this way, so the
archives still probably hold the story.

Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, and China are all producing software and
hardware for the English-speaking market -- and anyone who's used their
products knows how badly they need us. EVA, Taiwan airlines needs American
Dollars. On November 2nd Tilly and I will be on an EVA airplane headed for
Singapore for another overseas job search. Tickets only cost $780 each round
trip through consolidators.

Salaries in Asia are down right now due to economic downturn there. We have
one offer of $50k per year plus-plus. Five years ago it would have been $80k

Buck and Tilly Buchanan
mailto:writer -at- ntws -dot- net or after November 1st.
mailto:buckntilly -at- hotmail -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=