Re: Manager in onejump. Documentation Management

Subject: Re: Manager in onejump. Documentation Management
From: Michael Toogood <miket -at- DATENT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:53:36 +0100

>Yesterday in a meeting I was told: "There is NO editorial process.
You're it. You're writer, editor, (Document dept.) project manager. Make
it happen. Next."

>HELP! What are the traps? What should I do? What should I not do? Any
tips gladly accepted. Any books anyone can recommend.

I've always been in that situation.

Get someone else to read your texts once you have edited them.

One ploy is to ask a coder to read them to check that the content is
"functionally" correct (often they will point out other mistakes as well).

If you're really stuck - try reading your texts backwards - an old
copyediting trick (so I'm told). You often find those silly typos you missed
reading it the usual way (although it can hurt the head after a few pages).

Don't panic - there are many web resources such as dictionaries, grammar
guides, and style guides. There are even document management guides. Try a
web search.

Try joining copyediting and DTP newsgroups and email lists.

The views expressed in this communication
are my own and do not represent the views
of my employer or any other third party.
Michael Toogood, Technical Author, miket -at- datent -dot- com
DAT Enterprises Limited, Microsoft MCSP Partner
Phone: +44(0)870 606 5550 Fax: +44(0)1580 830044

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=