Word 7 Number Button Turning Normal to Heading1

Subject: Word 7 Number Button Turning Normal to Heading1
From: Michael Seifert <mbseifert -at- SAI2000 -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 14:02:32 -0400

I'd appreciate help from Word 7 users. We want the developers to be able to
create numbered lists from Normal paragraphs without using field codes.
However, in one document clicking the Numbering toolbar button consistently
turns the Normal paragraph into Heading 1.

Heading 1 uses outline numbering and is based on the Normal style.

Normal Style has no numbering, no indents, 3 pts after.

Automatically Update is turned off for both styles.

The Normal template is attached and has no numbered styles defined.

Using Format/Bullets and Numbers works fine-that is, it starts a numbered
list. However, some lists occasionally revert to Continuous numbering from
the previous list instead of restarting numbering.

Any ideas?

Michael Seifert
Software Associates International, Inc.
Email: mbseifert -at- sai2000 -dot- com