Re: Fussy Web Developers Use GIFs

Subject: Re: Fussy Web Developers Use GIFs
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- BROWN-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:12:07 -0700

Walker, Arlen P wrote:

> ... it's possible that Unisys could decide to commit corporate suicide
> and demand a fee from your visitors for allowing them the privilege of
> using the decompression process.

As I understand it, the "billable" events are:
* Creating the GIF
* Rendering the GIF

It isn't the visitor using the decompression process, but the visitor's
HTML browser. And for *that* the browser maker is supposed to have paid
a fee.

At the other end, the developers of the software with which the GIF was
created (whether originally or by conversion of an image in another
format) are supposed to have paid a fee, as well.

--David

David M. Brown -- Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
http://www.brown-inc.com/
See our web site for news about HTML Indexer, the easiest way to
create and maintain indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=