Re: Y2K or Y2k?? [Was SUMMARY: Y2K compliance - how to inform users]

Subject: Re: Y2K or Y2k?? [Was SUMMARY: Y2K compliance - how to inform users]
From: Jack Bybee <editor -at- VICONET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 01:30:25 -0400

Dave:
I hate to say this, but it does have to do with what I am writing about
- the article you quote omitted the alignment of the planets, the
Asian/S.American economic woes, the fact that 2000 is a presidential
election year and.... start writing and start writing now, we as writers
need to bring as much of this to the public's attention, let alone our
clients attention, as we can.

I DO NOT want to start a Y2k discussion (e-mail me off-line) - but two
Y2k projects I've been on *BOTH* assistant project managers had never
given it a thought as to what would happen if the power failed. Not a
thought. How many nuclear power stations are on the Eastern Seaboard?
(last rough count -126.) How many are compliant? Start thinking. Your
CPU could be OUT - and you might not be writing.
Ahmen.
Jack.
Dave Whelan wrote:

> There is a scary article by Capers Jones in this month's IEEE Spectrum
> explaining several upcoming Y2K-like software problems including Euro
> currency conversion, GPS rollover, the nines end-of-file system, the 2000
> leap-year calculation, running out of telephone and social security numbers,
> and the Unix and C clock rollovers.
>
> Have a nice day.
>
> Regards,
> Dave.

> David P. Whelan, Whelan Technical Services
> Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (204) 334-1339
> mailto:d -dot- whelan -at- ieee -dot- org
> http://www.pangea.ca/~dwhelan
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

It is a great and wonderous thing... to kneel... and kiss the Earth.
Poet Robert Bly.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=