Re: Does learning get in the way?

Subject: Re: Does learning get in the way?
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 09:35:39 -0800

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:06:05 -0600, "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\")"
<ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA> wrote:

>George's original
>point here: knowing how to use a hammer is less important than
>knowing what you can and can't or should and shouldn't do with the
>hammer.

But from another perspective, why would you want to limit someone in that
way? Telling someone they CAN'T use a tool to do something may stop them
from finding NEW uses for it (granted a hammer is a poor example). A
favorite scene from Garfield has our feline hero sitting on a branch of a
tree, while beside him sits the ostensibly brain-dead dog, Odie... to which
Garfield comments, "It's amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't
know what one can't do."

Does learning get in the way? It can... IF you don't or can't jump beyond
what you've learned.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

And if you're certain, certain your life is some cosmic mistake
Why do you shake?
And if you're certain, certain that faith is some know-nothing mask
Why do you still ask?
They don't grade here on the curve,
We both know what we deserve...
- Steve Taylor, "Jesus Is For Losers"