Re: Single Source Documentation

Subject: Re: Single Source Documentation
From: Craig Sanders <csanders -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 16:53:29 -0700

Hello, Steve!

I'm afraid I can't help you with a bibliography, but some stuff is coming in
the near future. Single-sourcing hasn't been with us for very long due to a
distinct lack of tools. While it has been possible to cobble a project together
using Word in conjunction with RoboHelp, there are some sharp limitations
imposed by both formatting and tool capabilities.

However, I have successfully worked out methodologies for using FrameMaker in
conjunction with WebWorks Publisher that enable me to write using a single tool
(Frame), and then publish in classic print media and a variety of online
formats (HTML, DHTML, HTMLHelp, WinHelp, JavaHelp, and OracleHelp). Through the
use of the conditional text tags in Frame, it is possible to write both for the
print and online audiences, and then publish using turnkey methods to a variety
of formats.

Quadralay (WebWorks Publisher) is in the process of updating their product
documentation and will be including a discrete manual that deals exclusively
with single-source publishing using this tool set. Publication date is in 2-3
months.

Hope this helps,
Craig Sanders

--