Subject: Summary: Alerting existing users to changes in a new version of s oftwa re
From: JGREY <JGREY -at- MADE2MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 07:52:55 -0500

Thanks to Misty Tucker, Jim Lockard, Donna Marino, and Matt Craver for
responding to my question, which was:

>I'm trying to figure out an effective way to alert our customers of
>important product changes coming in our next release, but well enough
>in advance that they can take necessary steps. Have you any success
>communicating such issues to customers so that they avoid surprises
>and the resultant frantic calls to Support?

All answers boiled down to this: Send notice several weeks in advance of
the software's release. The notice could take any of these forms:

* letter from the Customer Support manager
* "fact sheet" from the Documentation Department
* brochure from Marketing
* article in customer newsletter

Jim Lockard additionally suggested posting the information to the
company's Web site. Matt Craver reported he's had further success
putting this information on the product's CD-ROM, as well.

It sounds like direct mail will have the best effect. Thanks again to
all who wrote.

Peace,
jim

jim grey \ Documentation Manager
Made2Manage Systems, Inc. \ jgrey -at- made2manage -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=